Sunday, February 24, 2013

curling? no HURLING

Part of the reason I took the early bus home to Cork from Dublin that Saturday was to go to a hurling match later that night. Hurling is a very Irish game that's kind of a combination of baseball, lacrosse, and field hockey. Here's a video for those who don't know what it is:
Honestly though, I still didn't know what was going on most of the time during the game. It really is an incredibly fast-paced game. I also can't believe they didn't used to be required to wear helmets. Because that's intelligent. Running around a field swinging heavy wooden sticks with no helmets....says the girl who plays rugby.

The game was Cork vs Tipperary and I think it was the county teams. I always get confused because there's Cork city teams and then Cork county teams. The crowd was extremely lively and had quite the plethora of, ah, "colorful" language at their disposal. According to Deborah (she brought us since it was an API event) that's usual and the crowd at this game was on it's good behavior. Cork did win in the end, but I shudder to think what the crowd would've been like if they hadn't. I kept having clips of the movie Green Street Hooligans going through my head for anyone who's seen the movie.

Speaking of games I also have a rugby game later this week (hopefully)! Our last one was cancelled because we didn't have enough players to travel but I'll keep yinz updated on how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment